Music theory examines the very essence of music, from how it functions to the elements of which it is composed. Knowing about music theory is essential not only to gain a better understanding of music, but to make a career as a musician, music teacher or academic in the field, especially if you want to go on to get a master’s degree or other higher degree. Here you’ll find a great collection of blogs that will let you learn more about music theory, from the absolute basics to innovative ways to apply these ideas to composing and performance.
These blogs touch on a number of great music theory ideas and topics.
- musi[cube]theory: This blogger is a music teacher, sharing teaching materials that can help students learn concepts that are essential to music theory and performance.
- Music Theory: Looking to learn the basics of music theory? This site is an excellent place to start.
- Learn Theory of Music Blog: From choosing the right instrument to understanding the fundamentals of music, you’ll find a wide range of articles here.
- Theory in a Box: Theory in a Box is a music theory software program that students young and old can use to learn more about music theory. On their blog, you’ll be able to read about school using the programs, news and much more.
- Learning and Loving Music Theory: Find free lessons and resources in music theory through this blog.
- InTune: Not everything on this blog is pure music theory, but it’s an excellent place to learn more about composition, arranging and playing music.
Focusing on instruments like the piano and guitar, these blogs will teach you about music theory as it applies to each.
- Play Piano: This blog is a good place to look if you’re trying to better understand the chords and progressions of piano music.
- Learn Guitar Music Theory: Here you’ll find some basic lesson on the fundamentals of guitar music theory, like scales, reading music and more.
- Guitar Music Theory: With some great links and helpful articles, this blog can help any music theory student better study the guitar.
- Gibson’s Learn and Master Guitar Blog: Guitarist Steve Krenz helps performers and academics alike learn more about music made for the guitar here.
- From the Woodshed: Follow along as this guitarist practices, learns and shares musical discoveries here.
- Guitar Answers: Have a question about playing the guitar or music for the instrument? This blog may be the spot to find the answer.
- Basics of Music Theory: Learning the basics of music theory for the guitar is the focus for this helpful Indian blog.
- The Classical Guitar Blog: Find lesson, tips, tricks and interviews all about the guitar here.
Musicians and Composers
If you want to get a musician or composers take on music theory issues, give these blogs a read.
- Piano Kat’s Meow: This piano player and music nerd ruminates on everything from performance to music theory on this blog.
- Graham English: Through Graham English’s blog, you’ll find information on songwriting and recording as well as a number of music theory and criticism posts.
- From the Composer’s Chair: Composer Vince Lauria gives lessons in music and music theory on this blog.
- Roger Bourland: Roger Bourland is a composer who shares his passion for music and life on this blog.
- The Rambler: Learn more about modern composition and theory and hear some rare and beautiful music on this blog.
- Daniel Thompson-Microtonal Composer: If you’re not familiar with tuning theory and microtonal music, use this blog as a means to learn more.
- Richard D. Russell: Want to read about news and happenings in the world of composing? Check out this blog from composer Richard Russell.
- A View from the Podium: Performing musician Kenneth Woods shares what he knows about music, focused mostly on the orchestral, on this blog.
- Music Composition Weblog: If you have any interest in music composition, whether doing it yourself or learning how it all works, give this blog a read.
- I Was Doing Alright: An aspiring jazz trumpet player maintains this blog, with posts on jazz, practice and ear training.
- The Musician’s Blog: With posts on both performing and teaching music, this blog is a great resource for students hoping to learn more about music theory.
- Alphonse Nguyen: Music composition requires knowing a great deal about theory, and you’ll get to see how the process works on this composer’s blog.
- Laureate Conductors: Check out this blog to learn more about some of the greatest conductors and performances in music history.
Written by professors and music teachers, these blogs will help you learn about the academic side of music theory.
- Sonic Labyrinth: On this blog, you’ll get a chance to learn more about classical music from professor Jeffrey Johnson of the University of Bridgeport.
- Music Teachers Blog: Whether you teach music or just want to get insights into how music can be taught, this blog is the best resource out there.
- Texas Tech University Music Theory: You don’t have to go to Texas Tech to take advantage of the great music theory information listed on their blog.
- Berklee Music Blogs: Here you’ll find an amazing collection of blogs, with posts from music professionals, educators and faculty.
- Sociomusicology: Dr. David G. Herbert shares his research into society and music through this blog, with studies that can help you better understand music and music theory.
- Music, Education and Technology: Through this blog from the Dean of Continuing Education at Berklee College of Music, you can not only learn more about music education but the role technology has to play in it as well.
- Music Matters Blog: Music teachers and students alike can take advantage of the learning resources available through this blog.
- Music Education: This About.com guide introduces you to the basics of learning about music, from music theory to history and everything in between.
While not focused exclusively on music theory, you’ll learn a fair amount about it as you study the history and culture surrounding music through these blogs.
- Amusicology: Find short but sweet posts to help you learn more about musicology here.
- Smooth Atonal Sound: Here, you can read the thoughts of a musicologist on a wide range of music from Mozart to the Grateful Dead.
- Unsung Symphonies: Learn more about some of the great symphonies of the world that have been largely ignored on this blog.
- On an Overgrown Path: Get thoughtful music analysis and insights into what’s worth listening to from this blog.
- Zeitschichten: This web magazine and blog will help you understand music in relation to politics and history.
- Random Classics: What is it that’s so appealing about the sound of vinyl? On this blog, you’ll be able to listen to classic tracks recorded from the medium, imperfections and all.
- Miss Music Nerd: Music appreciation, sharing and education are the focus of this interesting blog.
These blogs take music theory and apply it to the real world, analyzing and criticizing compositions.
- Antti Sunell Music Blog: This blog will help explain great music in explicit detail — perfect for those hoping to learn more about theory.
- Joe Musicology: On this blog, you can read reviews of new albums and nerdy music talk.
- My Fickle Ears Dig It: This blogger isn’t just a music performer, but discusses theory, music school and more on this blog.
- Behind Ears: Read music criticism, analysis and news on this site.
- The Music Issue: While mainly about music, this blog delves into a wide range of pop culture issues.
- David R. Adler: Professor of jazz history David Adler shares his expertise and thoughts on musicians, compositions and the music world here.
- The Rest Is Noise: Here you’ll find the blog of the music critic of the New York Times, Alex Ross.
- Ethan Hein’s Blog: Author and musician Ethan Hein talks about music, math, technology and much more on this site.